Did you (who celebrate) have a wonderful Christmas? I hope so!
Our Christmas was simple and yet meaningful. I was only done with grading, class inquiries, etc. on Wednesday the 21st -a bit late. We wanted to send Christmas cards to some friends so that was the first thing we needed to tackle. We didn't have a Christmas tree, but thought we could have our picture taken by the giant Christmas tree at the university's union. At the union, someone told us the tree was taken down already... so sad! We quickly found a (plastic) small tree, only decorated with a few simple ornaments, standing at the corner of one meeting room. Tak ada rotan akarpun jadi, hehehe. Snap, snap, snap, we got our picture ready and sent them out as soon as we could. So be patient friends, you will get our cards really soon. :)
I did some cooking on the 24th and then some on the 25th. Trying to recreate delicious meals that D always had in his family (although mine did not come close!), I went with ketupat, opor, rendang, sayur asam/pedas, nastar, kastangel, and cheese tarts (this is my new favorite actually haha). Secret recipes? Hahaha, none. Use Indofood instant seasoning hahahaa. Nastar and kastangel? I followed recipes from Bubba Cookle online (www.cookle.at).
We had a wonderful Christmas eve and day services. So thankful for who Jesus is and how He has been the greatest gift in our lives. I was touched by a soloist who sang "My Heart, Your Bethlehem." A day before, there were a lot of Facebook posts, debating about Christmas, whether or not people should say Christmas anymore, whether or not people should congratulate others on Christmas. A few years back these debates would bother me so much, but I was surprised at how this year, they no longer bothered me at all. The lyrics of My Heart, Your Bethlehem best captured my personal view:
Though some will not receive You, or know just who You are,
I will prepare a place for You: a home within my heart.
I'll make my heart Your Bethlehem, where You O Lord, can enter in;
Shine Your light, let Your life in me begin.
Friends, honestly, my life is far from being a place from which God's light can shine through. But knowing that I have a Savior who has done everything for me, I can rejoice in my daily struggle to bring good for others. I can rejoice in my weaknesses and failure to think of God, study, family, services, and other aspects of our lives all at the same time. I can delight in doing something meaningful one day at a time (or one week at a time because sometimes I feel that I only do everything for myself!). I am thankful for wonderful friends and mentors out there who remind me everyday how to live a life that is meaningful for others.
So that was my Christmas moment... :)
We closed the celebration with Christmas dinner with the neighbors. Aren't you thankful that your neighbors are also your good friends? We had a great time as always when we were together. Food was good and fulfilling (and spicy hohoho), and conversations were lively.
Shh, I'll tell you a little secret. My neighbor J - I think she is on her way to become a model, hahahahaha. She's been having too much fun taking pictures and her photos always look amazing!

So in this moment, I would like like to thank all of you for your friendship. Thanks also for your wonderful gifts for us. Like this advertisement, you all are our gifts this Christmas. Merry Christmas, and happy preparing for 2012.
Wow, this is a cool Christmas! May your days always be merry & bright. :)
ReplyDelete