Friday, April 13, 2012

May we ask about your faith?

It happened sometime last year, actually.

I was sitting by the fountain on campus, reading on a Friday afternoon. There were several other people around the fountain. Then I saw a man and a woman carrying their Bibles, approaching me. One of them then said hi and said "may we ask about your faith?"

I heard a lot about preaching activities on campus, but I never experienced it myself until that point. I was curious, why me, and I saw that most of the people around the fountain were white. Maybe because I looked different? Setting these thoughts aside, I answered, "Sure," and they told them that I was (am) a Christian.

They looked surprises and asked me another question, "What kind of a Christian are you?" Well, I understand that there are many types of Christianity and Christians. So I shortly explained what I believe to them. To my surprise, they nodded and simply said thank you and bye, and left.

Hellllooooo??? I thought you would like to ask about my faith? Don't you want to talk? listen? comment?
I couldn't help to think how many times we just preached religion without really care about the person. We did not even bother to listen to their stories. We forgot that other people were human beings as well. Instead, people were often times simply a check list. You a Christian. Check. You are not. We need to talk. talk. talk. talk. Yep, you are now a Christian. Check. Leave.

May this post encourage you to see the human being in others. To understand its strength, longing, fragility, need of greatest love that one (and One) can offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment