Happy fall! We took a special trip today to Northern Indiana and our visiting scholar friend was joining us. As it's true with some of our previous trips, we only planned this trip the night before, yet we had so much fun the whole day and evening.
Our general itinerary was driving through the Amish Country Heritage Trail to learn more about the richness & diversity of Amish cultures. Amish is an umbrella term for the subgroup of Anabaptist, Mennonite traditionalist Christian churches that historically emphasizes simple living (in all aspects, from refusal to technology and electricity, simple clothing, to familial fellowship in houses). In reality is, Amish communities are very diverse and dynamic.
Our trip started with stopping at Elkhart Visitor center to get some maps and a CD of "self-guided tour" that will help us navigate the directions and explain to us interesting histories along the way. The visitor center itself was quite neat, with quilts hanging around the room.
Next was a quick stop at the Fall flower carpet at downtown Elkhart. It was ok - I think the best way to see it is from a higher angle so we can see the whole pattern. There was no ladder or higher spot provided, so we made it a really quick stop. Our friend found a much more interesting thing at the spot.
On the way from Elkhart to Bristol, we went to what turned out to be the jewel of our trip. It was a plant store/souvenir store/dramatic garden/interior design haven called Linton's Enchanted Garden. I found it through Trip Advisor the night before, and shoutouts to those people who wrote their reviews. They really knew what they were doing!
Enchanting was an understatement for this gorgeous place. If you are going to northern Indiana, if you are loving country style, plants, beautiful souvenirs, tips for interior design slash decorating, AND (most importantly), you love taking pictures (of yourself and cool backgrounds) then this place is for you.
I thought we would spend about 15 minutes in the store/garden, and we ended up spending two hours! It was THAT good.
It was fall, and the whole store was decorated in Fall and Halloween theme. The staff invited us to come back sometime in November because by then the whole store will be ready for Christmas. I can only imagine. Next time we might spend the whole day there. These photos below do not do justice, but I hope you get the idea why we loved the place. The staff were also very friendly. As an appreciation for a place that provided FREE admission (hey, it was a store), I bought a couple scarves. I am going to give one to a friend, and I found a white scarf for $6.99 for myself.
Hungry stomachs met delicious food at Das Dutchman Essenhaus that serves Amish style cooking. I would say that the dinner itself was similar as the other American buffet-style restaurants, but several things were unforgettable (besides great spouse and wonderful friend): their coffee, wheat rolls, slice of apple pie (delish!), and a really nice souvenir store.
Day turned into evening. We spent sometime on the Heritage Trail, following the Amish buggies, seeing where some of the people live, watching them converse on the front yard, watching how their clothes hanging to dry outside.
Going back home, we decided to see the University of Notre Dame, a Catholic university in Indiana. Too bad the sun set already, but what a solemn evening we had. Basilica of the Sacred Heart that was located at the heart of the university brought us to sit in the pew, adoring the architecture and feeling very grateful not only for this particular journey, but also for the journey of life. In my quiet time there, I lifted up a simple prayer for my family, near and far. Hope you all are well.









No comments:
Post a Comment