Brief
Rio de Janeiro, February 14, 2016
In the flow of the song, Aquas de Marco.
---
February, on Valentine’s Day. And yet, I am listening to Aquas de Marco, Waters of March. Yes, March is the month with the most rain in Rio. The rain carries away all the pebbles, leaves, anything. I let those shadows of rain take away the pieces of memories from my heart.
---
I push my baby cart faster. Little Timmy is getting excited. He keeps on smiling and babbling. I cannot figure out what he says. Sometimes he even laughs. I know he really likes going to the park, especially Rio botanical garden like now. That is because he likes playing near the pond, enjoying the beautiful fountain, seeing the monkeys playing, watching all sorts of plants, and of course, seeing little angels (i.e. little girls). Hmm, one day he will be with one of the girls, I think while feeling glad and jealous at the same time. I soon get rid of that thought. Haha, it will still be long… there will be plenty of time before Timmy grows up. He is mine now, that is the most important thing.
This evening, Rio botanical garden is unusually quiet, making me feel more comfortable. But still, the beauty of the royal palm trees and abrico-de-macaco are the most enjoyable. We pick a place near the pond, and Timmy really likes it. Some families are strolling around the park. Young couples are holding hands, their eyes are glowing and they can never stop smiling.
Not far from where I sit, I see a young mother and her two children. I am watching them for a while, struck with a strange familiarity that I am not quite able to tell. I am really surprised when suddenly the mother is saying, “Jangan terlalu dekat kolam ya… (Please don’t be too close to the pond). Somebody is speaking Bahasa Indonesia in Rio! I want to say hello and tell them I speak the same language, but they seem to really enjoy the afternoon that I decide not to disturb.
Still surprised, I see a man approaching the woman and her children, bringing them some drinks. This time I cannot believe my eyes. That man…..
My memory travels back to several years that have passed.
---
We liked spending late afternoons together, walking, talking. Sometimes he sang along the way, making me mad at times. His voice was loud! But still he is one of the dearest friends I have ever had. Sometimes he made me sleepy when he told me stories about philosophers, religious men and women, heaven and hell, goodness and badness, sadness and laughter with all their poetical meanings. All I wanted to talk about was “easy” things in life, like food, music, beautiful places. Still, he was fun to be with. Without realizing, the time I spent with him grew my love for words, stories, and writing – at the same time it slowly grew a sheer feeling of attraction, although in silence.
We walked and talked every day, about campus life, our study, work, and all kinds of things. Until one day, on the way to what he promised as an inspirational small park local people were not aware of, suddenly he stopped walking. He decided to sit on the bench of another park that we passed by. In the quietness of the moment, he reached for my fingers, looked into my eyes, and said: Deanne, I love you.
Do you love me? His question was plain and simple.
---
To me, at the time, love was a complicated question. His question was one I never had a chance to answer. Time and space took over, separated us, and we never saw each other again.
---
And now, it was too late to hide. He looked around the pond, and found me looking at him.
He was obviously surprised, too, but quickly contained himself, and walked towards me.
Deanne…
Hi, Arrow.
I hesitate, not knowing what to do. But he understands, and gives me a hug, a very “formal” one.
He waves at his wife, asking her and the children to come. Holding his wife, he says to me, “Deanne, this is my sunshine.” “Sunshine, Deanne was my long-time school friend.” We introduce ourselves and she introduces the kids. Timmy is very happy to meet with them and he gives them his sweetest smile. Arrow’s children call Timmy cute little Timothy repeatedly, and Timmy seems pleased with the name.
The she and the kids leave Arrow and me, as though giving us an opportunity to talk.
Where have you been, Deanne? And why did you choose Rio?
I take out a name card from my pocket. I bring those card everywhere, just in case I meet new friends, or old friends in that matter.
Deanne C. Bennett-Suryopranoto
Writer and Creative Designer
www.deannebennett.com
He gives a big smile. You are great, Deanne. I thought you chose Rio because you wanted to meet THE big name author.
I know who he meant by the big name author. Paulo Coelho. My favorite author. I explained to Arrow that I actually came because I got a scholarship to learn creative writing with him, and soon I found my own self and style in writing, and design. He nods – responds enthusiastically, I knew you would be successful!
And you, Arrow, what brought you to Rio?
He makes the same move of taking out his name card and I smile.
Arrow Patinasarani
Associate Professor
Instituto de Filosofia e Ciencias Sociais
Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro
This is wonderful, Arrow. You and your stories. You always love teaching!
---
We don’t have much time, we know that. Timmy is getting impatient – he wants to walk around the park.
Will we see each other again, Deanne?
We may, I answer, smiling.
I will see you soon, then. Happy Valentine’s Day.
Bye, Arrow. And Happy Valentine’s Day.
He gives me a hug again. Just a very little bit longer, and I can hear his heavy sigh.
---
And so, he goes again from my life. I put his name card into my pocket, very carefully. I do not want to lose that card, although I know I will never contact him. Just as I know that he will never contact me.
---
We will meet again. I don’t know on which part of earth.
No comments:
Post a Comment