It's true that I ride my bike every day and am able to feel the breeze and sun, but still. I usually leave my apartment just in time to make it to classes, and tend to pick the same route(that's the fastest to campus). I rarely enjoy my rides.
Yesterday an opportunity came in the form of a "hayride" that an organization on campus offered. D and I went. It felt good just to be able to see what people (aka "farmers") did on a day-to-day basis. They showed us their corn and soybean farms and pig barns (for export to Japan). It was nice to see how these people grow apples and make their own apple cider, or see how an 11-year-old girl handled the horses.
Call it nostalgic, but I saw what was meaningful for other people. It served as a reminder that what we (people) do has a meaning to us. Maybe others can't understand the meanings, but we know that it's meaningful. Maybe I can't understand why these farmers can be near the *smelly* pigs every day. Just like people can't understand how I can be near stacks and stacks of books and are eager to read them, or why I need to spend years in school, away from "home" and families.
It's all about the journey to find what is meaningful.
No comments:
Post a Comment