Thursday, September 8, 2011

Do People Celebrate Birthdays in Heaven?

It's cloudy outside and makes it a perfect time for reflection.

It was my father-in-law's birthday two days ago. It felt weird not being able to call home and say Happy Birthday to him. Do you think he celebrated his birthday in heaven?
Anyway, there is this one thing my FIL did that D and I can never forget. He liked patting us on our shoulders. He did that whenever I was having arguments or fights with D, both when we were dating and after we got married. He never said anything about our fights. He simply patted me on my shoulder several times, and smiled full of understanding. D said the same thing. Every time D came home looking sad, my FIL came to him and gave a pat on his shoulder. He did so also when D had to stay up late, working on school assignment or work-related tasks.

I just want to say that maybe someone we love needs that pat on the shoulder today. Hope you and I are given enough wisdom, understanding, and sensitivity to give a timely encouragement. Because love never fails.

Charlotte Church and Josh Groban, for you.



Ok, and a bonus. :)

4 comments:

  1. I guess, your FIL and my dad celebrated their birthdays together :) My dad's bday was on August 28,close right?
    I like to pat someone's ( my student's) shoulder too, especially when I do not know what to say ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember exactly his bday. Tp ga berani mengenang apapun. Karena aku juga terbiasa memeluknya, di hari ultahnya. Tapi semua kenangan tentang beliau tidak akan pernah hilang.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to be patted ;) .. yes, love never fails, because when the perfection comes, the imperfect disappears :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vil, aww.. they must have! Your students are very lucky having you as their teacher.

    Non, iya kami juga. Mau telpon ke Indonesia bingung, lha terus ngomong sama siapa soal ulang tahun? :)

    Winnie, hahaa come here babe :) I love what you said!

    ReplyDelete