Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Don't ask what your country can do for you...

Ask what you can do for your country.
And, my country, right or wrong.

The joy of graduating was being asked "what is your next plan?"
Then there were other questions and suggestions, such as:
"When are you going back home?"
"Looking forward to seeing you back home. Indonesia needs you."
"I hope you go home soon and start working to make Indonesia a better place."
"You should apply all your knowledge and skills to build Indonesia."

Wow, Indonesia needs me. I was happy to hear that. Of course, they paid for my (first) graduate program, and they deserved to see the investment turn into profit. But what made me unhappy about the above "suggestions" was that some of the people who asked had their own judgment that people who study abroad only want stay (abroad) and do not want to go home. They take advantage of all the opportunities and do not care anymore about their home country.

Maybe it was true. Maybe it happened. Like me, who took advantage of all the opportunities.
I applied four times to become a "lecturer" back home. I failed.
I spent my money and time to try "serving" the country by applying to government offices (many of them, you name it) instead of staying and serving the business power to whom I surrender myself for about five years. I failed.

I applied to go abroad. I got accepted.
And my professor back home said, pursue your education as high as you could.

I did. I applied for a scholarship. I got accepted.
I tried to ask if I could work back home, teaching. I received the answer "no." The reason? I needed a Ph.D. first. Would they pay? No.

And so I applied for a scholarship again.

Call it a confusion, or anger, or grudge. But my point is, I tried (and will continue to try). Wherever my place is for now, there I will be.

1 comment:

  1. Setuju... Emang Negara Indonesia tidak mau dibuat maju dan berkembang. Sayang Sekali. Contohnya, banyak sekali orang jenius dan sangat berbakat serta berdedikasi tinggi yang meraih penghargaan di luar negeri, tetapi di Indonesia sendiri tidak diakui, tidak dihargai bahkan dikucilkan. Termasuk yang terjadi belakangan, Mantan Menteri Keuangan Sri Mulyani yang sangat peduli dengan Indonesia dan ingin membetulkan sistem keuangan dan perpajakan di Indonesia, pada akhirnya dijadikan kambing hitam kasus Bank Century. Orang yang sangat hebat saja disingkirkan, apalagi orang2 lulusan luar negeri yang baru lulus. Ironis sekali Negara kita ini.

    ReplyDelete