Thursday, July 12, 2012

It's Never Easy, but It's Never Impossible

That was what Indonesian Ambassador for Japan Muhammad Lutfi said in his speech at the Congress of Indonesian Diaspora. Indonesia is unique, he said (he spoke in the context of opening a business, but he said it applies to everything in Indonesia). It's never easy, but it's never impossible. It means that we can always "navigate" things. :)

So I practiced what he said at the airport on Monday.

Me: Hi, I have a question. I have a carry on and a personal item/bag. But I still have this badminton racket (a precious badminton racket given by Rudy Gunawan). Will you allow me to carry it on board without charging me extra?

Delta staff: Oh no. FAA requires you to only bring 2 items: one carry on bag and a personal item/bag. That is not Delta, that is FAA.

Me: (look disappointed, checking it would be $25!) Ok.

Delta staff: (suddenly smiled). But you know what, you can put your racket in your bag. It doesn't matter if it's sticking out. But I am required to tell you that you can only have 2 items. Now if you can find a way to somewhat...

Me: I got you!!!! (eyes sparkling) THANKS!

Delta staff: You're welcome!

And there I was at the waiting room, busy repacking my full, full bags. Full with oleh2 from my friend Yuli: all sorts of Indonesian snacks and cookies from her Indonesian restaurant in CA, full of food from Semarang that one church member in CA gave to me.
Moment of truth: I put the racket inside my bag, handle sticking out, HAHAHA.

No $25 charge, got home safely, the shuttle even took me HOME (ask people, never happened that this shuttle took you home!)
He said Mam, I am not supposed to branch out of my route. But am 12 minutes early. So if you tell me where to go, I'll take you home.
D was happy getting all the Indonesian snacks.

I am so thankful.

2 comments:

  1. this is so special... ;) you know what i mean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey V!!Glad that you're here now! There is something even more special about this. Will let you know!

    ReplyDelete