As I'm writing this, I am literally racing with time. It is one of those times when there are too much to do, and yet so little time. For five years, I was working in a big pharmaceutical company in Indonesia. What I remember from my job is the quote: there is ALWAYS so much to do, and ALWAYS so little time. The most important thing to do is manage your time, manage your resources, manage your money. Everything is about management and productivity. If you manage everything well, you are being productive, and you will succeed. If not, well... if they see how I'm frantically trying to write one paper and application after another at the moment, there is no doubt they will use me as a no-no example of the failure to manage your own self.
Oh, and speaking about the failure of management, the scariest word in my vocabulary right now is "hoarder". This is the link to a few examples if you're interested in this word: http://www.childrenofhoarders.com/bindex.php
I encounter this word through my research on The Freecycle Network, an online community which allows members to give and receive items for free. Many members try to give away their possessions because they have too much and therefore they don't want to be called a hoarder.
(How could I get into talking about my research again??)
Anyway, to be honest, sometimes I miss a brief six months in my life when I conquered time instead of it (tried to) conquer me. I was in a graduate school in Indonesia and my husband and I opened a computer store. School was not too busy, and sitting at the store would be my contemplative moments. There was always time for almost everything: relax, work, sit still, pray, meditate, have fun, sleep, dream, you name it.
There's no use crying over spilled milk, really. I love what I have and do now. And as I'm sprinting against time in writing my papers and graduate applications, I'm taking time to breathe and to pour out myself. I stopped writing to write. Unbelievable, and yet it's therapeutic.
As you're managing and composing (thanks, Mary Catherine Bateson) your life together, may you find a time to stop and start managing/composing at the same time.
p.s.: I just realized that none of my clocks showed the same time..lol!!
anyway .. do you have to have 3 clocks in your bedroom ? i think you should have at least 5 clocks to make you get up ... whakakakakak :D
ReplyDeleteI wished I only had one, but I can turn off my alarm without getting up. And even worse, three clocks do not help, sometimes!
ReplyDelete