It's been so long.
Writing has been replaced by.. writing, basically ;)
The result is:
113 pages of Master's thesis in American Studies called
"Offer, Wanted, Taken: Laramie Freecycle and the Redefinition of Everyday Meanings of Citizenship."
Defended April 15, 2010.
Abstract as followed:
This thesis discusses Laramie Freecycle and how it redefines the everyday meanings of citizenship. Laramie Freecycle is an online community in which members can offer or receive objects for free. In this study, Laramie Freecycle is examined as a single online community based in Laramie, Wyoming and as part of The Freecycle Network (the “global” Freecycle group) by using online and offline ethnography.
In this thesis, I argue that by complicating the meanings of space (local-global, physical-virtual) and objects, Laramie Freecycle forms alternative agencies that try to push forward the individual interests into community participation. Freecycle redefines the way citizenship is practiced in daily lives by giving the individuals the agency to reshape the boundaries between public and private selves, while showing that the boundaries themselves are continually contested and redefined from within and outside the group, thus creating the “in-betweens” (inter-est) of private and public pursuits.
Side effect:
Sore throat
Fever
And I just want to sleep, and sleep, and sleep...........
Hi:
ReplyDeleteI discovered your blog post from a Google Alert. As a freecycle early adopter here in Ottawa, Canada, I'd love to read your thesis. Is it published anywhere?
Eric Snyder
Ottawa, Canada
=====================
Congratulations.... the thesis sounds very interesting. Would love to read, sometime.
ReplyDeleteRest well :)
how interesting!
ReplyDeletei remembered that you mentioned freecycle to me but i didn't know that it was all about your thesis. i would love to read it too ;)
Thanks, Eric.
ReplyDeleteMy thesis will soon be available to access through the University of Wyoming Library. I will keep you posted. Thanks for visiting and keep E-recycling ;)
Teh Mer and Viliya
Thank you! I will keep you posted!