I actually learned a lot from this experience. When I signed up for the class about a year ago, I understood zero about historic preservation. And that's what I loved most about education, turning zero into..."pro?" (I was just trying to find a word that rhymes with zero. I was not a pro in historic preservation, that was for sure)
One thing that made me sign up was simply because I wanted to get a feel of everything in my fields of studies, plus I wanted to know more about built environment in American societies with a hope that I would understand the people better.
And what particularly amazed me was twofold. First was how much community involvement was needed in historic preservation. Second was that the trust given to me as an "outsider" that I would love American built environment as the other "local" students would, no matter the minimal knowledge I had. Knowledge was not something fixed, it was to be learned. And so my professor trusted me with awful lots of architecture types, mapping, local histories, etc. with just one assurance, I could do it.
It was amazing where trust could lead you.
No comments:
Post a Comment