Saturday, December 26, 2009

Sale! (sshhh... a grumpy posting)




Lately, I had seen all sorts of trade activities going on Facebook. Friends are selling shirts, skirts, shoes, insurance, stock, and many others. I really admired friends who have talents in trading and businesses. Because my spouse and I opened a computer store back home, I really understood that buyers meant a lot for business, of course.

Until one day...

A high school friend requested to become a friend on Facebook. I hadn't seen him for a while, and of course I was excited to know what he was up to. Request approved and the first post on my wall was: Hi Mel, would you like to buy my product? :) :)
Then I was online and he started a chat: Hi Mel, I am selling this product..... :) :)

In the world of "activism," it was a widely agreed-upon phenomenon to start from the smallest circle of influence: families and friends, before moving on to convincing wider audience and even winning opponents. And I would think that in business, it would work the same way. We definitely turned to families and friends when we first opened the computer store. They would come and take a look or even buy a couple of things. Starters, so they said.

Reflecting on my own business, on the trading on Facebook, and on my friend, I always hoped that in the middle of my business activities, I would be able to keep friends as friends and not merely as sources for business profits. I hoped that I would always be interested in their lives, their families, their happiness and sadness, and their own selves. I hoped. I really did.

Speaking of friends, I just found an interesting quote by Paulo Coelho, one of my favorite authors. We always knew the famous quote: a friend in need is a friend indeed (or in deed?). But Coelho said:
Our true friends are those who are with us when the good things happen. They cheer us on and are pleased by our triumphs. False friends only appear at difficult times, with their sad, supportive faces, when, in fact, our suffering is serving to console them for their miserable lives. - from The Zahir.


And the correlation between sale, friendship, and a photo of flowers?
Uhm... sometimes things don't need to have obvious correlations :)

2 comments:

  1. hm...i completely understand that.
    That quote is so true.

    well, i think there is a correlation between flowers and sale and friendship. even if there's none, the picture still make your blog prettier :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you v.
    Yes, the blog looks prettier with the flower photo. Miss your postings!

    ReplyDelete