Friday, December 18, 2009

Saute




How many words should be in my vocabularies until I can speak English well? And now that I'm learning Spanish, how many more words should I know enough to be able to speak and understand what other people are saying? Words evolve, words forgotten, words learned, changes. I learn new words every day.

You might think, what is this confusing writing all about? Ok, ok, I admit it. I like watching Food Channel, and I found this gazillion new terms that are food, drink, or cooking-related. Rather than confusing you with this non-sense writing, I'll just throw out there the words that I heard -although not necessarily knew the meanings.

saute, au gratin, cordon bleu, brochette, deglaze, julienne, fondue, confit, roux, poach, cure (who's sick?), spice, herbs, blanch, mise en place, bake blind (what?), parboil, sweat (not literally), al dente, bouillon, garnish, croutons.......

application:
chicken en brochette: confusing.
chicken on a skewer: AHA!
satay: this is my life.

julienne: what? romeo and julienne?
long and rectangular cuts : ooooooh, i see.

No comments:

Post a Comment